East West Railway Company is a new and exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of the changing landscape of the rail industry, delivering substantial fast-paced improvement to modernise the railway.
East West Rail is a proposed new rail link between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Cambridge and potentially beyond. As part of the wider plans for this strategically important corridor, it is one of the most high profile infrastructure projects in the UK today. The new railway will improve local connectivity and serve as a catalyst for economic development and the creation of new housing, as well as significantly reducing existing journey times.
In the 2017 Budget, it was announced that the East West Railway Company would be established to bring new drive and focus to the project. The Secretary of State for Transport recently launched the company, highlighting its role to bring innovation, to deliver more quickly and cost-effectively than existing models, and to develop competition with Network Rail. The company is now scaling up significantly as it prepares to take on obligations relating to the delivery of the Western Section and Central Sections of the scheme, which will provide both innovative upgrades to existing track and to design then construct new infrastructure.
The role of Chief Executive is a unique and exciting role which will drive through the initial stages of a significant project of great national importance and establish a strong team empowered to deliver EWR Co.’s strategic aims and objectives.
As Chief Executive of East West Railway Company, you will:
• Be accountable for delivering the EWR scheme ahead of schedule and within budget, whilst driving industry-shaping innovation, both in the railway that is delivered and the model used to deliver it.
• Lead the organisation, focussing on the delivery of an excellent experience for passengers, and enabling wider economic benefits for the communities that the railway serves.
• Manage a complex network of stakeholders, with sometimes competing interests, including local authorities, central government, commercial partners and regulators.
• Provide innovative changes to the rail industry norm, based on an ability to consider strategic, complex and often sensitive issues from an informed and balanced viewpoint.
The successful candidate will require:
• C-Suite experience ideally gained in a regulated business within the rail or similar infrastructure industry.
• Advanced leadership, people and team management experience gained within a complex environment and possibly new organisation.
• Strong knowledge and experience in capital programme delivery and project management, coupled with operational infrastructure management.
• Strong ability to engage, align and manage a broad range of stakeholders.
• Expertise in corporate strategy development, implementation and performance management.
• Experience in driving innovation and change within an established industry or organisation.
Closing date: 19th August 2018