Australia: New South Wales SRA is calling tenders for 14 diesel railcars for use in the Hunter Valley, and for 40 double-deck outer suburban EMU cars.

Austria: Elin EBG has won a contract to fit radio remote control to 10 of ÖBB’s Class 1044 electric locomotives for mid-train working, with an option to equip a further 60.

Brazil: CVRD has ordered 150000 steel sleepers from Açominas of São Paulo for use on the Vitória a Minas Railway.

China: Anshan Iron & Steel has developed a range of vanadium-reinforced rails suitable for use on routes where trains will run at up to 200 km/h.

Great Britain: Union Railways (North) has chosen Eurolink, a joint venture of Miller Civil Engineering services and Vinci Construction Grands Projets for the £178m Contract 310 covering construction of the 13 km section of CTRL section 2 between the Thames tunnel and Dagenham. Invitations to tender for mechanical & electrical contract 588 and trackwork & overhead contract 576 were issued on September 28.

JNP Infraco Ltd has selected Mott MacDonald for a framework agreement covering track realignment and replacement work on London Underground’s Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines.

Silvertown UK Ltd has won a three-year contract worth £2·5m to supply Railpart (UK) with Silentbloc anti-vibration suspension components.

India: The Ministry of Railways has placed orders for new wagons totalling Rs1bn. Public Sector Units received 60% of the order, and private builders the remaining 40%.

South Eastern Railway has invited expressions of interest in setting up freight terminals on its network, under privately-funded Build-Own-Operate agreements.

Malaysia: Road Builder (M) Sdn Bhd has been awarded contracts totalling 87·6m ringgits for civil engineering work on the project to double-track and electrify KTM’s 180 km Rawang - Ipoh line by 2004. Feasibility studies are under way for double-tracking the Ipoh - Padang Besar line, and the 325 km from Seremban to Johor Bahru.

Portugal: CP has awarded a €2·3m contract to Spanish company Indra to install automated ticket vending equipment at 54 stations in the Lisboa suburban area.

Spain: Renfe has confirmed the €338m order for Talgo and Bombardier to supply 16 Talgo 350 km/h trainsets for the Madrid - Barcelona line (RG 8.01 p507). Bombardier will build 32 power cars worth €136m for delivery between March and December 2004.

Turkey: Alstom has submitted the sole tender to supply tilting trainsets to TCDD. The firm bid €80m for five 6-car sets, or €99m for five sets, five spare cars and spare parts.

USA: Slattery Skanska and Edwards & Kelcey have won a $76m 18 month turnkey contract to construct a 5760m2 maintenance facility for Metro-North Railroad at Highbridge Yard.